Australian Critics of Scientology
This page maintained by David Gerard.
Scientology in a cow pie
A person I knew, who had quit Scientology before I did, had an interesting
simile for explaining her involvement in the organization. She had been a
reg and although she claimed to have quit she still was very connected and
involved because of her family relationships and her personal spiritual
This was her basic simile: She felt that Scientology was like a cow pie
laced with pearls. You have to dig through the crap to find the pearls.
The pearls she referred to were pearls of wisdom, pearls of spiritual
For many years after quitting, I chose to view Scientology this way. As
time went by and as I did some research, I started to realize, that all the
pearls of Scientology that I had found were synthetic pearls. I decided
that it would be better to go view the real things. Once having done that,
I realized that the synthetic 'pearls' were rather cheesy in comparison to
the real things.
This is the simile I developed to explain the meaning of my past involvement
in Scientology and my leaving:
- Scientology for me, was like a cow pie laced with fake pearls.
- The results of continuing to dig through this cow pie would be:
- To spend big sums of money to find fake pearls.
- To find fake pearls.
- To get stinky from digging through a cow pie.
- The best thing I could do for myself, once I decided to quit digging
through the Scientology cow pie, was to wash my hands and get all of the
cow pie stuff off of me. I decided to throw away the fake pearls (they were
worthless to me even though they cost me a bundle!).
- I still wanted real spiritual pearls, so I decided to look around in
places other than cow pies.
- I had to be careful though, because Scientology isn't the only cow
pie cult out there and I didn't want to get myself into another stinky
situation. (Came close a couple of times.)
- If anyone ever tries to convince me again that I need to pay big
money for the privilege of digging through a cow pie, I am going to tell
them to go to hell.
[Why be a critic of Scientology?]