Photos and text by Neil Muspratt.
Purple sign: 'SCIENTOLOGY STANDS FOR FREEDOM & HUMAN RIGHTS'
Yellow sign: 'SUPPORT THE RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF BELIEF AND FREEDOM FROM BIGOTS'
1. Friday, 4:30pm: A contingent of the counter-protesters outside the front door with their signs. I had a reasonable conversation with the two ladies nearest the camera. The one at the front exhibited the classic Scieno Stare(tm) most of the time - quite disturbing when seen up close. I hope they're all as happy as they look.
Sign: 'SCIENTOLOGY FIGHTING CRIMINALS ON THE INTERNET'
2. Saturday, 10am-12 noon: Lynette Smith, DSA Brisbane, posing outside the Org's entrance the following day. Thanks Lyn, much appreciated. I just love that sign - it contrasts so well with the dark blue tiles. The picture leaning against the wall beside her is one of several IAS promotional posters they had on display, probably taken from their usual residence on the walls inside. Most of them featured US celebrities I'd never heard of before. John Travolta and his family was the only one I recognised.
3. A shot from across the street before they mustered their response in full. Stuart Riley is on the right with his blue "Scientology is a CON" sign. John is behind the blue Toyota Camry wagon with his back turned. Henry is wearing a hat and brown shirt, holding the top of a big white placard. The woman under the NAMCO sign is one of them, as is the guy in the blue shirt just visible beyond the white Renault hatchback.
4. Paul Anderson (centre) giving Henry a Tone 40 tongue-lashing. He was right in Henry's face just before I took this shot. Stuart and John are behind him. Lyn Smith and the woman in the previous shot are on the left. Paul is the one who gave me a hot reception when I did the solo protest in silence in September last year. We had a nice little chat this time around. I couldn't get him to say "Xenu" though.
4. This was taken just after we called it a day and moved away up the street towards Stuart's parked car. The woman in the middle is giving the "V" for Victory sign. They all stayed out on the footpath after we left.
Sign: 'I USED TO BE A DRUG ADDICT! THANK YOU SCIENTOLOGY!! I'M CLEAN'
5. Two of the three clams who wandered up to where we were standing around talking. The third one (an older woman, out of the frame) made some pathetic DA comments about Stuart and what he does to his wife. The woman in this shot seems to be wearing some sort of uniform - a Sea Org member? I've seen several of them dressed similarly at protests before. I'm glad this bloke got off drugs. It's a pity he's now caught up in something that might be just as addictive.